Thursday, October 23, 2008

Injustice

For me, injustice is so frustrating.  

Speaking from personal experience and from witnessing others scrutinized by a perpetrator who believes their view is elite and all knowing.  As if we humans have the right to be "all knowing and all powerful."  I will write about 2 separate experiences that have recently occurred.  

1.  I made friends with a woman at work.  She is kind, quiet natured, respectful, and interesting.  She grew up in Calcutta and saw Mother Theresa when she was a child in school.  Fascinating story.  But, my friend opened my eyes to another world.  
I found myself at Walmart.  Needed an oil change.  There was an Indian (from India) couple there and they were also getting oil.  I took care of my business and waited patiently in the room.  As I was there, I witnessed the Indian man being mistreated and "blown off" by the clerk at the counter.  I couldn't believe he wasn't answering the customer's questions about what type of oil he should put in the car.  This man obviously didn't have a clear idea of the difference between the oil selections.  He wanted the best for his car but, didn't want to get ripped off! Thankfully, my dad taught me about oil in cars from a young age and I was, at least, able to give him good advice.  
But, my heart was appalled at the mistreatment of this man.  How discomforted he must have felt being in a place that wouldn't understand him.

2.  I have to finish my graduate work.  I'm happy to do whatever it takes to get this degree done.  I've worked hard for it.  I found a class, talked to the professor, registered, and was set to attend class last night.  In my mind, it was all worked out.  Then I got a nasty e-mail from this power tripping department head.  I called him to resolve the issue and he treated me in a demeaning, belittling, "there's no excuse for you", "I wash my hands of you", kind of way.  He talked to me like I was irresponsible and neglectful of important things.  

If you know me, you know that I am a rule follower.  At least the important rules :)  If you know me, you know I like to do things right the first time and I try hard to make that happen.  If you know me, you know I try hard to be respectful.  If you know me, you know I hate when others are mistreated or misunderstood.

The point....HE DIDN'T KNOW ME.  He made snap judgements about the kind of student I was based on his prior knowledge and experiences working with students (that were not me).  AND, he was MEAN!!!!  

Nevermind that I have a 3.9 GPA at a sound University.  Nevermind that I had people at this other school bend over backwards to help me get all the classes in I could before I moved states.  Nevermind that I'm paying him money out of MY OWN POCKET to help pay for his lively hood.  

Injustice.   What a pain in the neck.

No comments: